What Does The Registration Fee Cover?
The fee covers the cost of uniforms (jersey, MLB Replica hat, and socks), secondary medical insurance, officials (5 & 6 no official/ 7 and up 1 official), equipment, clinics, and awards.Awards/Trophies
· Participation trophies are awarded to every player ages 5-12
· 1st & 2nd place season / tournament trophies are awarded for ages 7-12
· 1st & 2nd place season / tournament t-shirts are awarded for ages 13-15
--MUST HAVE 4 TEAMS IN A LEAGUE TO RECEIVE AWARDS--How Are The Age Groups Determined?
The age determination date is April 30th, 2017. Your child must be 5 years old by this date no exceptions. The baseball program will consist of single age groups, except where it is determined that combining age groups are needed to meet the minimum number of teams to hold a league.What Types Of Baseballs Are Used?
· The 5 year old age group will use a Rif 1 safety ball
· The 6 year old age group will use a Rif 5 safety ball
· The 7 & 8 year old league will use a Rif 10 safety ball
· Ages 9-15 will play with a DDY baseballWhat Types Of Bats Are Used?
· A Tee Ball bat must be used in the 5 and 6 year old leagues
· The bat barrel size for ages 7-12 year olds may not exceed a 2 ¼ barrel
· The bat barrel size for ages 13-15 may not exceed a 2 5/8 barrelWhat Types Of Batting Helmets Are Used?
The Park will be providing the coaches with 2 batting helmets for community use. The Park strongly recommends that parents purchase their child their own batting with a faceguard. ONLY batting helmets with faceguards will be allowed.
· Helmets are not required in the 5 year old league
· Helmets with faceguard ARE REQUIRED for the ages 6-15What Is The Evaluation?
Evaluations will consist of three baseball skills including batting, fielding, and pitching (ages 9 & up). Each skill shall be evaluated by coaches and the player will be given a score on that particular skill. Evaluation scores will be the basis of determining which team a player will be assigned to during team formation for the regular season. It is extremely important to have your child evaluate on one of the two days offered.
Only registered players will be allowed to evaluate. Players who do not evaluate will be placed on a team but will not be able to pitch (ages 9 & up) or be on the pool player list in any age group.When Is The Evaluation?
The date, time and field location for each age group is located below. Registered players only need to attend one evaluation session. Call the Pelican Park Sports Hotline at 626-1444 if there is any question about field conditions. Parents should stay during the evaluation process, as the boys should be finished within 45 minutes. Players should bring their gloves and bats to evaluations. The Park will provide an age group appropriate equipment bag that contains 4 batters helmets and catchers equipment. Please call the Pelican Park Sports Hotline @ 626-1444 if there any questions about field conditions.
ALL PLAYERS NEED TO BE EVALUATED. If your child wants to be eligible to pitch he must do the following:
o MUST attend one of the two evaluations offered
o MUST attend all three stations at the evaluations
If your child does not attend evaluations he will not be eligible to pitch or be a pool player. If your child does not attend all three stations at the evaluation he will not be eligible to pitch. Players need to bring a glove and a bat to evaluations. PLAYERS WHO DO NOT EVALUATE WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO PITCH.7 Year Old – Location – TBD
· Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 12:30pm–12:45 pm – Starts approximately at 12:30pm
· Tuesday, 3/21/17 Check in from 5:30pm–5:45 pm – Starts approximately at 5:30pm8 Year Old – Location – TBD
· Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 2:00pm–2:15pm – Starts approximately at 2:00pm
· Tuesday, 3/21/17 Check in from 6:45pm–7:00pm – Starts approximately at 6:45pm9 Year Old – Location – Grey East & West
· Wednesday, 3/15/17 Check in from 6:00pm–6:15pm – Starts approximately at 6:00pm
· Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 9:00am–9:15am – Starts approximately at 9:00am10 Year Old – Location – Grey East & West
· Thursday, 3/16/17 Check in from 6:00pm–6:15pm – Starts approximately at 6:00pm
· Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 10:30am–10:45am – Starts approximately at 10:30am11 Year Old - Location – Blue 1, 2, 3
· Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 10:00am–10:15am – Starts approximately at 10:00am
· Tuesday, 3/21/17 Check in from 6:30pm–6:45 pm – Starts approximately at 6:30pm12 Year Old - Location – Blue 1, 2, 3
Wednesday, 3/15/17 Check in from 7:00pm–7:15pm – Starts approximately at 7:00pm
Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 11:30am–11:45am – Starts approximately at 11:30am13/15 Year Old - Location – Green 4
Thursday, 3/16/17 Check in from 6:30pm–6:45pm – Starts approximately at 6:30pm
Saturday, 3/18/17 Check in from 12:00pm–12:15pm – Starts approximately at 12:00pmWhen And Where Are Practices?
· 5 & 6 year old practices will begin April 10th for the preseason. The regular season practices are optional for the 5 & 6 year old league. Games are scheduled 1 ½ hrs apart so that the first 30 minutes is used for practices. All practices are held at Pelican Park.
· Ages 7 and up practices will begin the week of April 3rd. There will be two practices a week for preseason. One practice per week during the regular season. All practices are held at Pelican Park. Practices can be held on any day of the week.When Are Games Played?
· For ages 5 & 6: Games will begin on April 29th. Games are played on Saturday only until after the school year ends; then a weekday game and a Saturday game will be played. There will be no scores kept in this age group. Games are scheduled every hour and a half. The first ½ hour is for practice followed by a one hour game. The season will consist of 8 games with no end of the season tournament.
· For ages 7 and up: Games will begin the week of April 29th. Games are played on week nights and weekends (Saturday or Sunday). Game days for an age group are not determined until after registration ends. All games will be played at Pelican Park. The season will consist of 14 games with a single elimination tournament. Every attempt will be made to make up rained out games but is not guaranteed.What Are The Pitching Rules?
For age 6: An adult of the batting team will pitch the ball to the players
For age 7 & 8: An adult of the batting team will pitch the ball to the players
For ages 9 and Up: Players pitch the ballWhen And What Is Team Formation?
· The baseball team formation is where the coaches for age groups 7 and above come together to place all the players onto teams. This will be done at the end of March. Teams are formed to ensure fairness with a total blind draft for ages 7 & 8 and semi-blind draft (blind for the first 7 rounds) based on evaluations scores for ages 9 and above. The coaches will pick in an open draft for rounds 8 and above. Special request cannot be honored for ages 7 and up.
· For the 5 and 6 year old age group the Park will place players on teams. This
will be done in early April. Special request are accepted for these ages only. Every attempt to honor these request will be made but we can not make any guarantees. No changes will be made after the teams have been formed.What Is Parent/Player Orientation?
This is a formal gathering of all the players and parents in an age group with teams announced and players called up and introduced. This will give the parents and players the opportunity to hear all the new exciting things happening in the Baseball program in addition to meeting their coaches. Please see the schedule below for your assigned time slot:
Saturday, April 1st, 2017 in the Castine Center
· 13/15 year old age group - 8:30am
· 12 year old age group - 9:30am
· 11 year old age group - 10:30am
· 10 year old age group - 11:30am
· 9 year old age group - 12:30pm
· 8 year old age group - 1:30pm
· 7 year old age group - 2:30pm
Thursday, April 6th, 2017 in the Castine Center
· 5 year old age group - 6:00pm
· 6 year old age group - 7:00pmWhen Will The Baseball Season end?
· For leagues for ages 7-15 will play a 14 game season followed by a single elimination tournament. Depending on the number of teams and rainouts, the tournament games should end mid to the end of June.
· The 5 & 6 year olds will play an 8 game season with no tournament Depending on the number of teams and rainouts, the season should end mid June
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BASEBALL SEASON MAY GO AS LATE AS JULY 1ST IF ANY INCLEMENT WEATHER IN ENCOUNTERED THROUGHOUT THE SEASONWhere Can I Find The Game Schedules?
Game schedules will be posted on the Pelican Park web site at www.pelicanpark.com
as well as on bulletin boards throughout the park. These will be completed prior to one week before the start of the games.I WANT TO REGISTER MY CHILD!